We’ve worked with hundreds of patients to treat hip pain and restore quality of life.
Hip pain is common for people of all ages because it can be caused by a wide variety of problems. If you are experiencing pain or limitations, our orthopedics team will work with you on a customized plan of non-surgical and surgical options to get you feeling better and back to doing the things you love.
Care for hip injuries and issues
Omaha Orthopedic Clinic offers comprehensive care for a variety of hip conditions, including:
- Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease that affects mostly middle-aged and older adults. It may cause the breakdown of joint cartilage and adjacent bone in the hips.
- Rheumatoid arthritis causes inflammation of the synovial lining of the joint, causing extra synovial fluid which leads to severe pain and stiffness.
- Traumatic arthritis is caused by an injury and may also damage the hip cartilage.
AVN is a condition caused by lack of blood flow to bone cells, often the result of an injury. It’s also commonly due to damage from drinking too much alcohol or taking corticosteroids to manage a chronic health problem. If not treated properly, this condition can lead to bone collapse.
Bursitis is inflammation of bursae (fluid-filled pads) that act as cushions at the joints, occurring most often at joints that perform frequent repetitive motion, like in the hips, shoulders, knees, and elbows.
Hip dislocation is rare, usually caused by extreme trauma like a car accident, fall, or severe sports injury. Patients who suffer a dislocation will experience intense pain and inability to move or walk. This orthopedic emergency requires immediate care.
Hip fracture is a severe result of an accident or fall and is usually treated with surgery.
If you’ve exhausted other treatments and are still experiencing pain and limitations, it may be time for a hip replacement. From pre-surgical support to recovery and rehab, we are with you every step of the way.
Learn more about our joint replacement services.
What is hip replacement surgery?
Hip replacement (also called total hip arthroplasty) is surgery to replace a worn out or damaged hip joint. The surgeon replaces the old joint with an artificial joint. The surgery will often relieve hip pain that can’t be controlled by other treatments.
What are the common reasons for hip replacement surgery?
The most common reason for hip replacement surgery is osteoarthritis, which is loss of joint cartilage in the hip. This damage to the cartilage and bones limits movement and usually causes increasing levels of pain. People with severe pain from degenerative joint disease experience discomfort from normal activities like walking and sitting. Another common reason is to fix damage caused by a fall.
How do I know if I need hip replacement surgery?
Ask yourself these questions:
- Have you made changes to your mobility due to your hip pain? For instance, have you had to change the way to get into your favorite chair, the bath, or your car?
- Has your hip pain been persistent for over a month?
- Does your hip ache during and after exercise?
- Have you been using medication or a cane for pain relief, but they are no longer helping?
- Do you experience extreme stiffness after sitting for a long period of time?
- Are normal activities like walking, sitting down, and bending becoming consistently painful?
If you answered yes to any of these, let’s meet to discuss your mobility goals and the best treatment for you. Contact us to make an appointment.